What is Child Find?
When a young child is not meeting typical developmental milestones or someone is concerned about the child’s growth or learning, an evaluation can be conducted to evaluate how the child plays, learns, speaks, behaves and moves. This evaluation is conducted through Child Find, a part of Colorado's system for identifying children suspected of having a delay in development. The purpose of the evaluation is to determine if there is a significant delay that may impact a child’s education or if there is a need for early intervention or special education services. Evaluations conducted by our D11 Child Find teams are at NO COST to parents and available to families who live within the D11 boundaries.
In D11, we ensure that any child experiencing significant difficulties or delays in development receives the appropriate interventions or accommodations they need to be successful in the school environment. Our Child Find team helps identify children suspected of having a significant delay in development. After completing the preschool application, the process may include a phone call, a developmental screening and if deemed necessary, a play-based transdisciplinary assessment to determine eligibility for special education services within the preschool classroom. For children not currently enrolled in a D11 preschool, evaluations are conducted weekly throughout the school year at our Tesla Professional Development site.
Street view of Tesla
Professional Development Center
Back/East view of Tesla
Doors where you’ll enter
What to expect at an evaluation
D11 trained and certified professionals conduct play-based assessments when significant concerns are expressed by the parent for the child’s early development or learning. Evaluations address the areas of concern for each child. Evaluations are provided in several areas, including but not limited to the following: social-emotional functioning, speech-language skills, physical development, pre-academic skills, and cognitive functioning.
If your child has an appointment for a Child Find evaluation, you can expect the following:
Waiting area where we will meet you and your child
Child Find Evaluation Room #1
Child Find Evaluation Room #2
- appointments may last 2-hours
- we will get your written permission to evaluate your child
- we may perform a vision or hearing screening
- we will play with your child using toys and materials for young children
- we will interview the family about their concerns, and about your child’s development, strengths and interests at home
- we will share the skills demonstrated by the child during the evaluation and the impact it may have on your child’s development and education
- we will answer any additional questions you might have about your child’s development
The Child Find Evaluation Team, which includes the family, will determine if your child meets eligibility criteria for special education in the school setting set forth by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE). If your child is eligible for special education, an Individualized Education Program (IEP) will be developed indicating which special education and related services are required for the student to be successful in preschool.
These services may include:
- Specialized instruction from an Early Childhood Special Educator, Teacher of the Deaf/Hearing Impaired, Teacher of the Visually Impaired
- Specialized instruction from a Speech-language Pathologist or Speech-language Pathologist assistant
- Related services from an Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, or School Counselor
For children who do not reside within our D11 boundaries, please contact your local school district for information regarding their Child Find process.
For children who are birth to age 3, please contact The Resource Exchange at 719-577-9190 or click here. For more information regarding early interventions for children birth to age 3 from the Colorado Office of Early Childhood, please click here.
For preschool aged children, 3 through 5 years, including preschool children who reside in D11 and attend a charter school, childcare, or private preschool: Complete our preschool application and you will be contacted to discuss your concerns about your child.
Colorado Springs School District 11 Child Find Coordinator
AnnaKarin.Joachim@d11.org or 719-520-2542