Welcome to D11 Social Studies
District #11 Social Studies – Building engaged and literate citizens informed through questioning the past and present.
District 11 social studies develops engaged and literate citizens who are informed and challenged by questioning the past and present. District 11’s social studies instruction fosters rigorous literacy in civics, geography, history, and economics for all students as they understand their unique role as engaged citizens who intentionally shape the future through the following:
- Acquire comprehension and appreciation of American traditions based on knowledge of history and the American constitutional system of government
- Develop rigorous critical thinking skills which empower them to be life-long learners and to examine and evaluate current issues
- Acquire basic literacy in civics, geography, history, and economics
- Understand world history as the context for United States history
- Participate in activities that enhance the common good.
Contact Social Studies Facilitator
Joan A. Jahelka, MA