Students at Bristol receive weekly S.T.E.A.M. lessons, where curent science and math content is integrated, in order to apply their knowledge and deepen their understanding of the state standards including Next Generation Science Standards. S.T.E.A.M. at Bristol is based on problem solving through collaboration, communication, critical thinking and an engineering design model. Students receive lesssons in the importance of a growth mindset encouraging risk taking. Critical thinking through planning, designing and creating solutions to problems is a key component that supports learning across content areas. In addition students are exposed to a wide vaiiety of innovative tools, practices such as CAD design and 3D printing, early computer science skills through coding and programming robots, media production (stop motion video, green screen, imovie), creating electric circuits to build various tools like flashlights, create digital presentations, creating solar powered devices, extensions of visual arts and movement, as well as career pathway education.
According to the advocacy group Americans for the Arts, Arts education has undeniable benefits:
- Stimulates and develops the imagination and critical thinking, and refines cognitive and creative skills.
- Has a tremendous impact on the developmental growth of every child and has proven to help level the "learning field" across socio-economic boundaries.
- Strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, adding to overall academic achievement and school success.
- Develops a sense of craftsmanship, quality task performance, and goal-setting-skills needed to succeed in the classroom and beyond.
- Teaches children life skills such as developing an informed perception; articulating a vision; learning to solve problems and make decisions; building self-confidence and self-discipline; developing the ability to imagine what might be; and accepting responsibility to complete tasks from start to finish.
- Nurtures important values, including team-building skills; respecting alternative viewpoints; and appreciating and being aware of different cultures and traditions.