Students at Bristol receive STEAM lessons weekly, where science lessons are integrated with technology, engineering, arts and math. At Bristol we encourage risk taking and a growth mindset. During lessons students are asked to design, problem solve through trial and error. Students learn to share their ideas and thinking through STEAM activities. The focus is on taking challenges and overcoming them. At Bristol, we believe this is the key to success in learning and in life.
According to the advocacy group Americans for the Arts, Arts education has undeniable benefits:
- Stimulates and develops the imagination and critical thinking, and refines cognitive and creative skills.
- Has a tremendous impact on the developmental growth of every child and has proven to help level the "learning field" across socio-economic boundaries.
- Strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills, adding to overall academic achievement and school success.
- Develops a sense of craftsmanship, quality task performance, and goal-setting-skills needed to succeed in the classroom and beyond.
- Teaches children life skills such as developing an informed perception; articulating a vision; learning to solve problems and make decisions; building self-confidence and self-discipline; developing the ability to imagine what might be; and accepting responsibility to complete tasks from start to finish.
- Nurtures important values, including team-building skills; respecting alternative viewpoints; and appreciating and being aware of different cultures and traditions.