Contact: Palmer NHS Sponsor
Name: Michael Chamberlin
Office: 301 N Nevada AVE Colorado Springs, CO 80903
President - Joseph Van Dyk
Vice President - Chay Buchholz-Guerrero
Secretary - Lydia Hurcomb
Treasurer - Elliette Igel-Manvitz
Historian - Ellie Van Dyk
Our mission is to promote academic excellence, to encourage service to others, and to promote leadership
Next meeting: November 4, 2021. 3:15 - 4:00 PM
Attendance at the meetings is a requirement for membership. If you cannot attend a meeting for school-related reasons (e.g. - a soccer game, not practice), contact Mr. Chamberlin at least one day before the meeting. Failure to inform Mr. Chamberlin of your absence prior to the meeting will result in an unexcused absence for that meeting. NHS members are allowed a maximum of one unexcused absence per school year. We will be meeting in our small groups - groups coming soon.
Officers normally meet a wee prior to the general assembly meeting.
Membership in NHS has its requirements:
1) Maintain at least a 3.6 overall GPA (weighted). If your GPA falls below 3.6 you will will be placed on NHS Probation and have one semester to bring is back up to 3.6 to remain in NHS.
2) Dues. $15 paid at the Palmer Business Office. If you cannot afford the dues, see Mr. Chamberlin in room 222.
3) Attend monthly meetings. One unexcused meeting will result in NHS Probation. More than one unexcused meeting will result in a Dismissal Hearing. If you need to be absent from a meeting (doctor appointment, sport game - not practice, etc.), contact Mr. Chamberlin (firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to the meeting.
4) Service Projects - First Semester: Two in-school service projects must be completed. Second Semester: Three in-school service projects must be completed. Each Semester: One project must be completed outside of the school, either individually or with NHS as a group. For each project you must take a "selfie" at the project site and post it to our NHS Schoology Class (coming soon). Include your name, the project name and a brief description of the photo. The fall due date is December 15, 2020.
To keep track of these requirements, GPA, meeting attendance, dues, and community service will be tracked within the NHS Schoology Class (coming soon . . .)
Bylaws are the governing rules and regulations of the Palmer NHS Chapter and its members. Bylaws were updated and approved by the Faculity Council in December, 2018.
Service Projects (Individual)
The service projects listed below are not required. However, these projects need volunteers so it would be great if you could help out.
1) Marian House Marketplace Expended Service Hours Volunteer Needs. Marian House Marketplace is a shopping format food pantry that has distributed over 70,000 lbs. of food and household products to families in need. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, starting September 1, 2021, there are new shifts from 3:15pm to 5:15pm to support this service to our community. There may be openings for 1:15pm to 3:15pm shifts too, let us know if those shifts are a better fit.
A) Checkout Assistant – recurring volunteers preferred however not required
This volunteer position weighs items the clients have selected, notates the weight, assists clients to their cars if needed, and returns shopping carts to the shopping room. Shifts are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 3:15-5:15 p.m.
B) Shopping Assistant – recurring volunteers preferred
Shopping Assistants guide clients through the Marketplace, helping them determine quantities and retrieving products in the refrigerator/freezer section. Shopping Assistants also assist with checkout when needed. Shifts are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 3:15-5:15 p.m.
C) Client Intake – interest in being a recurring volunteer required
This volunteer position is perfect for volunteers who enjoy client interaction. Volunteers greet and welcome clients and input their data into a computer. Shifts are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 3:15-5:15 p.m. Training is provided.
For further information contact Doug Rouse at 719.866.6286 or email@example.com
2) US Taekwondo Center needs volunteers for their Master's Challenge Tournament November 5-6. Jobs include setting up for the event, checking in participants, score keeping, etc. If you commit to 4+ hours (over the course of the tournament) you will receive free entrance, a free meal, and a spectator ticket for a friend. Please sign up here (Volunteer Sign Up) or contact Sarah Zarobsky for more information - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Service Projects (In-School)
Two of the following service projects are required fall semester, 2021.
1) Blood Drive. Donating and/or volunteering. Date TBD.
2) Monster Bash. October 27, Palmer, 7-9 PM. Information and sign-up will be sent soon via Remind.
3) Trash Clean-up. Following the November (4th) and December NHS meetings. More information coming soon.
This website contains the basic information about the Palmer Chapter of the National Honor Society and a list of volunteer opportunities. Further communication is via Remind (send code @cekgkh to 81010 to sign up), email, and occasionally text.