When asked what traits parents would like their children to have now and as adults, one of the most common responses is “to be responsible.” This is a broad term which means many different things, including:
- being dependable so people know they can count on you,
- keeping one’s word and agreements,
- meeting one’s commitments,
- doing something to the best of one’s ability,
- being accountable for one’s behavior,
- accepting credit when you do things right and acknowledging mistakes,
- being a contributing member of one’s family, community and society.
Being responsible is a key to children’s success both in school and in the larger world when they grow up.