Advisory is a 40-minute class period all Sabin students have on Tuesdays and Thursdays when they meet with their Advisory teacher and engage in a variety of activities that address and support social and emotional needs students have. By sanctioning this time outside of normal academic classes, Advisory offers a safe space to learn about and discuss relevant topics that might be surfacing in students' lives, and offer some tools and pathways for how to navigate some of these challenges. Whether it is engaging in a hands-on activity, learning from a guest speaker or expert in a field, or exploring a helpful website, students are able to feel supported with issues around the following categories (with a few examples included):
- Relationships (conflict resolution, dealing with drama, diversity)
- Health & Wellness (body image & self-esteem, sleep & nutrition, stress management)
- Skills for Success (time management, organization, goal setting)
- Personal Power (growth mindset/grit, the 8 (character) Traits)
- Looking Ahead (post-secondary and career options, resume writing, the credit system in HS/college)
Advisory is also the time in which Trait Team events and competitions take place, providing students with structured opportunities to have fun while building teamwork and getting to know others in their grade level and across the school in more meaningful ways. Grouped with others in their same grade-level Trait Team, students loop with their Advisory class and teacher, creating a continued sense of community through their three years at Sabin Middle School.