Crystal Apple Nomination Guidelines
Crystal Apple Awards
Honoring Teaching Excellence
Sponsored by El Paso Council Parent Teacher Association
2023-2024 Nomination Guidelines
Purpose: To honor and recognize School District 11 classroom teachers who demonstrate excellence in education by meeting the needs of their students.
Awards: One Crystal Apple Teacher Award will be designated for each of the five District 11 school areas. In addition, one Crystal Apple Teacher Award will be presented to a teacher in any area at the judges’ discretion.
Eligibility: A teacher must be certificated/licensed, currently teach at a District 11 school, and have completed a minimum of two consecutive years in the district prior to the nomination. Past recipients of the Crystal Apple Teacher Award are not eligible. Click here for the list of past recipients.
Judging: The completed nomination packets are keepsakes for the teachers. The packets should be well-organized and presented in an attractive manner. Judging, however, will be based on the information, not on the appearance of the material. Judging is done by a selection committee made up of community volunteers, separate from the Crystal Apple Teacher Awards Planning Committee, because this is a community award to honor teachers.
Checklist: The following requirements must be met in order to avoid disqualification. An additional copy of the nomination form, resume, response to questions and principal letter must be submitted with the nomination packet in a separate envelope or folder. Please refer questions to Jessica Wise at (719) 520-2203; Jessica.Wise@d11.org.
1. At least two people are needed to nominate a teacher. The nomination form must be included and is counted as one page. After completing the Intent to Nominate Form, an official nomination form will be sent to the nominator
2. Nominators are responsible for ensuring that the following questions are answered in a separate section at the beginning of the nomination packet. Please state questions and responses. Please give clear, concise answers and specific examples.
1. In the classroom, how does this teacher meet the needs of all students?
You may consider students individual differences, learning environment, student motivation, and preparation of students to become productive members of society.
2. How does this teacher demonstrate professional collaboration?
3. How does this teacher contribute to a positive school/parent/community partnership?
3. The nomination materials must include at least two letters of endorsement: one from the current principal and one from a teacher in the nominee’s school. These letters must have been written during the present school year and dated as such.
4. Each teacher shall provide a complete resume (degrees, honors, organizations, professional activities, community involvement, etc.) to be included with the nomination material.
5.Keep the material for the nomination packet to a maximum of 30 pages. Each side of a page counts as one page. If inside covers are used, they count as pages. Material should not be stacked on top of other material on one page. Pages of the packet itself on which information is displayed shall be no larger than pages that are approximately 12 x 12 inches. Keep in mind, additional pages may be created to add to this keepsake packet after the judging takes place.
Deadline for nomination packet: Tuesday, February 27, 2024