Queen Palmer Elementary School

EXCEL with PRIDE

  • About Our School

    Palmer Grade School was built in 1948 at 1921 East Yampa Street in a part of Colorado Springs called Knob Hill. It is an all brick building that includes a wonderful auditorium that was part of the original structure. The school had a capacity of 460 students until an addition was built in 1955 for another 120 students.
     
    When the school was built, it was named for both General and Mrs. Palmer. The name of the school was chosen by the children of the Colorado Springs Public Schools. The school was built on a lot located two blocks east of the city limit that was the size of a full city block. The city newspaper noted that the site was chosen because the greatest growth in school population for the city occurred in this area. It was the first new elementary school to be built in Colorado Springs since Ivywild School, which was built in 1916. When Palmer School was dedicated, a celebration was held. It ended with the sixth graders performing an original play, A Pioneer of the West, and square dancing. The play told of General Palmer's many achievements.
     
    In 1959, Colorado Springs High School became Palmer High School. This is when our grade school was renamed Queen Palmer Elementary. Queen (her nickname) Palmer was the first school teacher in Colorado Springs. She rented the home of publicist W.E. Pabor to serve as a school and began teaching in November of 1871. The school was located at the corner of Cascade and Bijou streets. Sometime before 1900, the building was moved to the corner of Espanola and El Paso streets. Although it has been enlarged and remolded many times, this 100+ year old building is the second oldest building in the city. The oldest structure is a log cabin in Bancroft Park. We are proud to have our school named after the first teacher in Colorado Springs.
     
     Source:
    Black, Celeste. Queen of Glen Eyrie:The Story of Mary Lincoln Mellen
CLOSE
CLOSE