Contact: Palmer NHS Sponsor
Name: Michael Chamberlin
Office: 301 N Nevada AVE Colorado Springs, CO 80903
President - Joseph Van Dyk
Vice President - Chay Buchholz-Guerrero
Secretary - Lydia Hurcomb
Treasurer - Elliette Igel-Manvitz
Historian - Ellie Van Dyk
Our mission is to promote academic excellence, to encourage service to others, and to promote leadership
Next meeting: February 2, 3:15 - 4:15 PM
Attendance at the meetings is a requirement for membership. If you cannot attend a meeting for school-related reasons (e.g. - a soccer game, not practice), contact Mr. Chamberlin at least one day before the meeting. Failure to inform Mr. Chamberlin of your absence prior to the meeting will result in an unexcused absence for that meeting. NHS members are allowed a maximum of one unexcused absence per school year. We will be meeting in our small groups - groups coming soon.
Officers normally meet a week prior to the general assembly meeting.
Membership in NHS has its requirements:
1) Maintain at least a 3.6 overall GPA (weighted). If your GPA falls below 3.6 you will will be placed on NHS Probation and have one semester to bring is back up to 3.6 to remain in NHS.
2) Dues. $15 paid at the Palmer Business Office. If you cannot afford the dues, see Mr. Chamberlin in room 222.
3) Attend monthly meetings. One unexcused meeting will result in NHS Probation. More than one unexcused meeting will result in a Dismissal Hearing. If you need to be absent from a meeting (doctor appointment, sport game - not practice, etc.), contact Mr. Chamberlin (email@example.com) prior to the meeting.
4) Service Projects - First Semester: Two in-school service projects must be completed. Second Semester: Three in-school service projects must be completed. Each Semester: One project must be completed outside of the school, either individually or with NHS as a group. For each project you must take a "selfie" at the project site and post it to our NHS Schoology Class (https://d11.schoology.com/album/5371530627). Include your name, the project name and a brief description of the photo. The fall due date is December 15, 2021.
To keep track of these requirements, GPA, meeting attendance, dues, and community service will be tracked within the NHS Schoology Class (https://d11.schoology.com/course/5370369313/materials)
Bylaws are the governing rules and regulations of the Palmer NHS Chapter and its members. Bylaws were updated and approved by the Faculity Council in December, 2018.
Service Projects (Individual)
The service projects listed below are not required. However, these projects need volunteers so it would be great if you could help out.
Service Projects (In-School)
Two of the following service projects are required fall semester, 2021.
1) Blood Drive Preparation Projects. February 2. NHS Meetings. 3:15 - 4:15. More information coming . . .
2) Blood Drive. Donating and/or volunteering. February 10-11. Palmer High School Foyer. Sign up here to volunteer for the drive - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4ea9ab2eaafcce9-feb
This website contains the basic information about the Palmer Chapter of the National Honor Society and a list of volunteer opportunities. Further communication is via Remind (send code @cekgkh to 81010 to sign up), email, and occasionally text.