8th grade health
- The sixth grade health unit is taught through science classes.
- All science teachers attend health training regarding the middle school health curriculum.
- The health curriculum, textbook, and resources are available for review at the school prior to the start of the unit.
- Permission slips are required for students to participate in the health unit.
- As per Board of Education policy, students and families have the opportunity to opt out of the unit due to personal, religious and/or ethical beliefs.
- If a student opts out of the health unit, an alternative assignment will be provided that students can complete during this time period in a location designated by the school (e.g. library, another classroom).
- review vocabulary and human sexuality
- discuss communicable and non-communicable diseases
- learn about HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections (STI)
- discuss prevention of sexually transmitted diseases with an emphasis on abstinence
- review healthy relationships and responsibility
- review prescriptive and non-prescriptive contraception and disease prevention with a focus on abstinence