7th grade health
- The seventh grade health unit is taught through science classes.
- All science teachers attend health training regarding the middle school health curriculum.
- The health curriculum, textbook, and resources are available for review at the school prior to the start of the unit.
- Permission slips are required for students to participate in the health unit.
- As per Board of Education policy, students and families have the opportunity to opt out of the unit due to personal, religious and/or ethical beliefs.
- If a student opts out of the health unit, an alternative assignment will be provided that students can complete during this time period in a location designated by the school (e.g. library, another classroom).
Human sexuality with an emphasis on interpersonal relationships
- review vocabulary and human sexuality
- learn and model life skills that address decision making
- discuss high risk activities and how to avoid peer pressure
- identify and address sexual harassment
- define healthy relationships
- discuss the effects of sex in the media
- learn about prescriptive and non-prescriptive contraception as it relates to pregnacy and transmission of sexually transmitted infections (STI) with a focus on abstinence