6th grade health
- The sixth grade health unit is taught through science classes.
- All science teachers attend health training regarding the middle school health curriculum.
- The health curriculum, textbook, and resources are available for review at the school prior to the start of the unit.
- Permission slips are required for students to participate in the health unit.
- As per Board of Education policy, students and families have the opportunity to opt out of the unit due to personal, religious and/or ethical beliefs.
- If a student opts out of the health unit, an alternative assignment will be provided that students can complete during this time period in a location designated by the school (e.g. library, another classroom).
Human sexuality with an emphasis on self esteem
- learn the definition of human sexuality and other related vocabulary
- review puberty and hygiene
- learn and model life skills that will address goal setting
- learn about the reproductive systems of males and females
- discuss the process of conception, fetal development and birth
- identify the characteristics of a healthy person
- identify ways to promote self esteem
- recognize and express emotions in healthy ways