Our "D11 Smart Snack Info Pack"
Guidance for July 1, 2014 Implementation of: Nutrition Standards for All Foods Sold in School as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.The USDA Smart Snacks rule applies to ALL food SOLD to STUDENTS in schools midnight before through 30 minutes after the end of the school day. This includes…
All food items SOLD to STUDENTS in schools midnight before through 30 minutes after the end of the school day must comply with the USDA Smart Snack rules found on our web site.
- USDA School Meal Programs, including A la Carte sales operated by District 11 Food and Nutrition Services,
- Any food which could be consumed on school grounds sold to students from midnight before through 30 minutes after the school day,
- Afterschool events on school grounds occurring immediately after school to thirty minutes after the school day where adults DO NOT make up a significant portion of the audience,
- School Vending on school grounds accessible to students from midnight before through 30 minutes after the school day, and
- School Fundraisers selling food to students which could be consumed on school grounds from midnight before through 30 minutes after the school day.
School must document ALL food and beverages sold in compliance with Smart Snack rules:1. Smart Snacks documentation for food and beverage items must include:• Nutrition Facts Label• Ingredients ListFor every food or beverage item sold during a non-exempt event.2. Maintain a log of ALL food sales outside of the Federal school meal program.
Beverages have their own set of rules under the Colorado Healthy Beverages law.Please note: while some foods meet the USDA Smart Snack Rule requirements and some beverages meet the Colorado Healthy Beverage law requirements, in Colorado they cannot be sold in competition with the District’s food service program 30 minutes before through 30 minutes after the meal period. Only BEVERAGE vending in Colorado high schools is exempt from this law.This is an excellent resource by the Colorado Department of Education Office of School Nutrition.
Note: this calculator cannot be used for beverages in Colorado because it does not take the Colorado Healthy Beverage Policy into account.- See more at:Note: always check product labels to ensure items are compliant as formulations may change.Order Compliant Smart Snack Products from D11 at a Discount
Right click and "Save Target as" and save this Excel file to your computer.We have put together a list of bulk snacks for schools to order in case quantities!District School Site
Smart Snack Waiver
(Internal Use For D11 Principals Only)
Only principals are approved to "waive" this federal requirement - up to 3 limited times per school year per building