Howbert Elementary is the leading PreK - 5th grade outdoor learning pathway school in the Pikes Peak Region.
We incorporate nature and the outdoor environment to engage learners in meaningful and purposeful experiential learning.
Our learning opportunities are designed to engage students through outdoor, hands-on learning experiences that bring learning
to life. We work together and think deeply about questions as we apply skills across content areas. Students have the unique
opportunity to extend their learning beyond the walls of the classroom.
Benefits of Outdoor Learning
- Strengthens students’ sense of empowerment to make a difference in their community as stewards of the environment.
- Improves students’ academic achievement and growth through experiential learning and application.
- Gets students outdoors and active in learning.
- Activates and increases students’ physical, mental, and social health.
- Improves learning enjoyment by changing the pace and location of learning.
- Connects families and the community to the school through involvement.
- Builds culture and climate through a focus on common language, values, and purpose.
What are our focus areas?
- Experiential Learning
- Connections to the Natural World
- Relationships & Community
- Fine Arts
- Physical Education (PE)
Clubs & Activities
- Battle of the Books
- Bike Club
- Chess Club
- Running Club
- School Yearbook or Newspaper
- After-School Programs
- ELL Services
- Gifted and Talented Services
- Special Education Services