Resources for Families
It is important that families work alongside the district to ensure that students understand internet safety and responsible online behavior. Talk with your child about how to stay safe, and tell them that they can come to you with concerns. Common Sense Media is one of the tools used by teachers in District 11, and provides services and guidelines for parents as well. Create a parent account and see the tools they have to help you keep your child safe.
Department of Education Video "What Parents Need to Know About Their Student's Data."
Things to keep in mind:
What can you do to partner with District 11 to keep your child safe?
- Secure your home network and devices by using strong passwords, malware and virus protection.
- Read online privacy policies carefully when creating accounts. Be sure you know how companies will use your information.
- Teach your students about online safety. Talk about cyberbullying, sharing personal information, posting pictures, and online predators. Know that children will need to hear this again and again.
- Install parental control on your child's devices so you are assured they are not accessing inappropriate websites and are able to monitor their activity.
- Create family rules for internet use and set a good example for them to follow. Be sure your child follows those rules, too.
- You are your child's most trusted confidant. Be sure they are comfortable coming to you if they are exposed to something inappropriate. Work together to create a safe online environment.