Please complete this brief survey for each D11 child in your household by Friday, February 26, 2021. The results of this survey will be used to make necessary staffing adjustments. Depending on those staffing adjustments, students may have different teachers than the ones they have had to date.
My communication is intended to equip you with Holmes specific details that I view important for assisting you with this decision. By Friday, February 26th, all families will have to make the choice to return your student(s) to in-person learning five-days per week, OR to attend full remote learning from March 10th until the end of this school year. Please review the information outlined below. This will hopefully answer many of your questions, but perhaps not all. If you need more information, please let us know.
The following pandemic safety protocols items CAN be enforced at Holmes regardless of how many students are present in-person:
- Requiring the proper use of facemasks
- Routine disinfecting procedures for shared desks, tables, chairs, surfaces, and materials
- Reinforcing good handwashing and personal hygiene
- Maintaining adequate exterior air ventilation throughout the building
- Daily health screenings for all people entering the building
- Grade level cohort groups for entry to the building, passing periods in hallways, lunch, and all academic scheduling
The following items CANNOT be 100% enforced at Holmes while all students are present in-person (our ability to enforce these items increases as the number of students in the building decreases):
- Quarantining and targeted contact tracing for students exposed to a confirmed, positive case of COVID-19
- Targeted contract tracing is allowable under El Paso County's current status on the COVID-19 Dial 2.0 Framework if specific, site-based assurances for accurate contact tracing are maintained.
- Greater number of students in the building reduces my ability to guarantee those assurances will be able to be maintained.
- As a result, an entire grade level may need to quarantine instead of just close contacts.
- Current social distancing practices of maintaining 3 feet or greater wherever and whenever possible.
- 100% of our learning environment (classrooms and common areas) will not be able to maintain 3 feet of social distancing at all times
Finally, as Dr. Thomas noted in his communication, this final round of change to our learning environment, may result in students changing teachers. I will work to minimize this disruption, but this is a distinct possibility for our school.
D11 Athletic participation will continue on the path that began in January, and additional extra-curricular participation in clubs may begin shortly after this return.
We will communicate further important information if and when it becomes available.
Anthony Karr, Principal
7:30 AM - 8:30 AM Intramural B-Ball B-1
11:00 AM - 1:30 PM V-Ball A-Squad Practice
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM V-Ball B-Squad Practice
7:30 AM - 8:30 AM Intramural B-Ball B-2
4:15 PM - 5:15 PM Intramural B-Ball B-1
4:30 PM - 7:30 PM V-Ball Game: Holmes @ Jenkins
Holmes Middle School
2455 Mesa Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80904
Vision Statement: Developing life-long learners who are capable of leading, creating and contributing while being empowered with confidence and self-knowledge.
Mission Statement: Igniting a passion for learning while inspiring and empowering students for a future of their own making.
It’s an exciting time in D11 as we look to the future and plan a journey for years to come! You may know D11 has embarked on new Academic and Facilities master plans. Our community has been engaging with us as we ask for their input and feedback on both of these plans. There are still opportunities to give your feedback this semester. Please visit www.d11.org/rebuilding to learn about each of these plans and how they will help shape the future of School District 11.