Colorado Springs District 11 is exicted to offer Seal of Biliteracy to students who show proficiency in English and one other language. Applications will open November 1, 2021 and close Monday, February 28, 2022. Required testing will take place in April.
District 11 recognizes that:
- Mastery of two or more languages makes important contributes to a student's cognitive development, understanding of diverse cultures, and economic opportunities.
- The student of foreign languages contributes towards our national economy and our national security.
- Multiple languages are a critical element in enabling our community and state to participate effectively in a global poliltical, social and economic context.
- The demand for employees to be fluent in more than one langauge is increasing both in Colorado and throughout the world
- Our community is home to speakers from hundreds of different langauge and culture groups, and to build trust and understanding across multiple language and cultural groups in our diverse community requires mutlilingual skills of communication.
Colorado Springs District 11 recognizes the attainment of these needed and important skills through the establishment of a Seal of Biliteracy on the high school diplomas or transcripts. Pupils who are able to show proficiency in one or more languages (based on the critera - see links below), in addition to English.
Through the establishment of this Seal, District 11 seeks to:
- encourage students to develop biliteracy skills
- provide employers with a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills
- revitalize and promote foreign language
- encourage the development of dual language immersion programs, and foreign native and heritage language programs in schools
- recognize and honor our rich and diverse langauge assets.
General information can be found under the follow links:
If you are interested in applying for either Seal of Biliteracy dowload packet and return application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Claudette Murtha in Global Education for more information: