Socratic Seminars Overview
Goal: The goal of a Socratic Seminar is to build the groups understanding of a topic through questions and dialogue.
Preparation: In order to be ready to contribute effectively to the conversation one must spend significant time in preparation. Follow these preparation steps for all seminars:
- Read and annotate all assigned readings and bring those annotated readings to the seminar.
- Prepare multiple questions for the seminar modeled after the essential question(s) for the topic.
- Complete any notes and/or other assignments given by your teacher.
Participation: There are a number of expectations for a student’s participation in a seminar.
- Engage in dialogue on topic.
- Refer to the text as often as possible.
- Ask good discussion questions.
- Take notes on the other(s) seminars.
- Provide feedback to your partner(s).
Assessment of Seminars: Your grade of a seminar will be based on a combination of your preparation and participation in the seminar.
- 60% of your grade is based on completing the prep work before the seminars begins.
- 40% of your grade will be based on participation in the seminar.